Subject: Re: ld: Bug or Feature?
To: None <dillema@huygens.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1998 07:11:47
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Feico Dillema wrote:

: I build -current again yesterday and ran into one little problem. Programs
: linking with the shared libutil did not build. ktrace-ing ld on one
: revealed that ld was trying to link against an old libutil (version 3.2
: instead of the current 4.4) that resided in /usr/pkg/lib and was put there
: by the emulators/compat12 package.

Hrmpf.  I wonder why ld was searching /usr/pkg/lib at all while building
-current - no one else seems to have run into that.

: So, ld seems to stop searching for newer versions of a library in other dirs
: as soon as it found a dir that contains a version. Bug or feature?

Feature.  That's definitely deliberate.

: If it's a feature, shouldn't the compat12 package install its shared libutil
: in /usr/lib ???

To keep from polluting /usr/lib.  Again, I wonder why ld is searching
/usr/pkg/lib - that's the big problem.