Subject: Re: NOTICE: Weekly tar_files changing
To: Greg A. Woods <>
From: John C. Hayward <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1998 17:45:07
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Of course it's not really CVSup that's the problem, but rather modula-3.
> We don't even have modula-3 in the pkgsrc tree yet, let alone ported to
> non-i386 platforms, and I'm not very much of a compiler guy, except
> perhaps at finding bugs in them....
> I'd love to see it happen though.
> It would be cool if the Polytechnique Montr=E9al folks could become the
> maintainters for NetBSD's pkgsrc/lang/modula-3....
I had a port of Modula-3 for NetBSD at one point working which was a
i386 port.  I used in courses I taught.  However it was a pain to maintain
in that as NetBSD changed and Modula-3 changed it was difficult to keep
everything going. =20

I really liked Modula-3 but was dissapointed in it's general acceptance
and initially it's performance - back in '93 when I started the effort
attempting to work on a 486-33MHz with 8MB of memory when NetBSD did not
have shared libaries a `hello world' program compiled and linked to over
1Mb executable.  Things have improved with shared libaries and hardware
has definatly improved since then.

If there is enough interest in Modula-3 under NetBSD I might take up
interest in maintaining the port.