Subject: Re: Amanda backups: gtar or dump?
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1998 23:53:02
[ On Wed, October 28, 1998 at 19:57:33 (-0800), Ask Dr. Stupid wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Amanda backups: gtar or dump?
> We take an interesting approach:  We'll do a level zero while the system is
> up, then take it down to single-user mode a day later and do a level one.
> Sorry if it's not what you're looking for.

I've heard tell of this scheme several times, though I generally forget
about it when I'm implementing backup schemes for some reason.

It's an excellent way to reduce the amount of down-time required to get
reasonably high-integrity backups.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>