Subject: Re: Why is Samba so much slower on NetBSD than FreeBSD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1998 12:22:32
I've noticed samba being slow too (compared to NT; I haven't tried it on
FreeBSD)... I tried doing some tests with a Pentium 166, 128MB RAM,
3c595 NIC, with NetBSD and NT Workstation 4.0 as the server, and a
WinBook XLi laptop (Pentium II 233MHz, 80MB RAM, 3c589D NIC, NT
Workstation 5.0beta2) as the client.

With the server running NT, it took about 7 seconds to copy a ~6MB file
to nul:. With the server running NetBSD and Samba 1.9.18p10, it took
about 15 seconds to copy the same file.

So, I dunno about the difference in speed compared to FreeBSD, but Samba
on NetBSD is definitely not as fast as it could be... Half the
performance on identical hardware :(
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++