Subject: Re: Amanda backups: gtar or dump?
To: None <>
From: Michael C. Richardson <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1998 09:58:45
    Head> The problem with that, and this is actually one of dump's major
    Head> selling points, is that dump prepends a table of contents to the
    Head> beginning of the dump.  This is what allows an interactive

  I think this is a major feature, but it does render -t useful for
*verifying* a backup. I've been bitten by this problem on numerous occasions.
  I need to add -T or -V to restore to make it note the highest numbered
inode, and attempt to restore that file from tape to /dev/null in order to
force the entire tape to be read. No, I won't do this all the time, but I
sure *will* do this at least once a month, and anytime I mess with kernels,
SCSI controllers, disks, tapes, or *termination*.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.