Subject: Re: Amanda backups: gtar or dump?
To: None <>
From: Sean Doran <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1998 12:24:36
Um if we are redesigning backup stuff, I have a question.

Should backups be tape-focused, or considered a form of
remote long-term stable storage?

Personally, the reasons I've used backups are, in order of frequency:

	-- accidentally nuking a file that was important
	-- needing back an old version of a file that has been unlinked
           in the past
	-- moving files off a disk, repartitioning, and moving them back on
	-- replacing a dying disk that tended to crash and corrupt files
	   with all the fun of figuring out which files were corrupted

finding older versions of files fast is nice.   A colleague and I
have been spoiled by IBM's ADSM for a while, and so mostly are
looking at ways to make backups to a large RAID array, which then
would put long-term erased/overwritten versions of things onto
long-term stable media in something like LRU fahsion.

The fun is in figuring out how to support the (ick) multiple OS platforms...

The plan9 mindset (, look
for "Backup and Recovery") is sorta neat, too, for that matter.