Subject: Re: dhclient support..
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 20:05:59
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Robert Elz wrote:

> ...and dhclient fails, then you're not going to be getting at
> the syslog files either...

It depends on the failure. It can be the case (and is, in my
instance) where one wants to see what hosts dhclient got replies
from after a successful address assignment. And of course if a
machine has another interface that is statically configured (again,
as mine is) you can get to it from that interface even if dhclient
fails entirely.

> > actually achieved, after it has worked, the leases file is better value tham
> the info in syslog, so the missing syslog is a very minor annoyance, at most.

Not really, no. It's missing all sorts of information, such as

    what sockets it's listening on,
    what sockets its sending on,
    whom it got DHCPOFFERs from.

> For the mount stuff, what I do is to the "critical filesystems" mount loop
> twice, the first time mounting only filesystems that are mounted form /dev/
> something or other....
> netstart is run, which gets the network running, etc, and after that,
> the critical filesystems loop is run again, omitting anything that is already
> mounted, and not restricted to local filesystems.

I like this.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.