Subject: Re: Amanda backups: gtar or dump?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 10:01:41
Actually, one of my main complaitnts about dump is there doesn't
appear to be a way to verify the integrity of a dump, and it doesn't
even appear to do checksums on the files. That's why I've been
using Gnu cpio with the -H crc option for so long. (It's still
irritating that it doesn't check the crc when it lists, though;
you have to do an actual extract to do that.)

Personally, I'd switch to dump in a flash if a) it did a checksum
or CRC of each file, and stored it in the dump file, and b) it
checked this and generated a message on mismatch when you did a
restore -t.

BTW, I'm open to thoughts on new backup systems.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.