Subject: Re: dhclient support..
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 07:53:19
> Not to ask this yet again, but is /etc/netstart.local the recommended
> spot to launch dhclient?  This doesn't seem exactly correctly, since
> netstart is done *before* mounting /var, and dhclient wants to save
> data into /var.  In particular, /var/db/dhclient.leases, and also
> /var/run/dhclient.pid.  This seems somewhat broken if we consider
> dhclient to be "production", along with the lack of dhclient support
> in /etc/rc.conf.

Sigh.   Yah, this is a problem.   Last time I tried to put dhclient
into /etc/rc, I was flamed to a crisp, so it's not there.   I think
it's actually a bug anyway that /usr is mounted _after_ the network
comes up unless LKMs are to be loaded.   I think that /usr should be
mounted before network startup _unless_ a flag saying "/usr is
net-dependent" is specified in /etc/rc.conf.

			       _MelloN_