Subject: Latest arm32 ksrc does not find the motherboard HD i/f
To: NetBSD-arm32 <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Millen <dmillen@largesalad.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 03:19:06
 Hi,
I am presently running a 1.3H arm32(riscpc) kernel compiled on Oct. 12th from
sources supped the previous night.

This kernel correctly identifies the hard drive controllers and drives on both
the motherboard(wdc0: wd0a......) and the ICS IDE interface(wdc1:
wd1a...., wd2a.....).  The system is set up to boot from wd0a and works fine.
However ......

I have compiled a new kernel from sources supped on Oct 24th and find that wdc0
now appears to be the controller on the ICS IDE interface and that wd0 now
refers to the drive on channel 0 of the same controller. The kernel
obviously fails to boot, since the 'new' wd0a has nothing to boot, normally only
being used as extra storage mounted on /mnt.
Both *should* or *used to* refer to the controller and drive on the motherboard.

The symptoms persist whether booted as a 'native kernel' or via unixfs:netbsd.

The ICS interface is found at the point in the boot sequence where the
motherboard controller normally comes up. This is much earlier than
previously! and it seems as though the motherboard controller is not being
found by the kernel.

Has the order in which the devices are probed changed, resulting in a change of
device numbers, or is this a serious fault?

BTW, going back to my earlier kernel works fine.

regards,
Dave

--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot!

e-mail: dmillen@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk/DJMsoft/