Subject: Re: IPNAT
To: Erik Rungi <>
From: Mike Pumford <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1998 21:32:14
> Hiya,
> After spending a bit of time pulling my hair out, I have realized that under
> the configuration I'm using (NetBSD-1.3/i386), ipnat doesn't work unless ipf
> is enabled.
> Maybe this is obvious to some, but I think that it would be a good thing if:
> 1.  ipnat would warn you that its not going to be doing any mapping until you
> run "/sbin/ipf",
> and/or
If you have an up to date /etc enabling IPNAT in rc.conf automatically sets up
ipf for you. So it does not really need a man page entry. Although I can see
that while experimenting before enabling it for real it would be useful to
know as I have also spent significant time wondering why it did not work.

> eg "Please note that ipnat will not actually rewrite any packet headers unless
> the ipf packet filter is active."
> Mentioning in the ipnat(8) man page which kernel options are required to make
> nat go zoom would be handy as well.
This I would definitely support. It was only by scanning back through large
amounts of current-users mail that I managed to find the options required.