Subject: Re: Permissions on directories.
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1998 06:52:19
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:35:44 -0400 (EDT)  Todd Vierling wrote:

> I would certianly not change a default behavior, but I'd still like to see
> the option of using the user's primary gid when creating a file if BOTH of
> the following conditions are false:
>
> - the directory is setgid or sticky
> - the user has the directory's group ID in the user's group list
>
> If either of these two conditions are true, using the directory's group ID
> is fine with me.  I'm more concerned about files having a group ID other
> than a user's allowed group IDs; on SVR4, that is just plain not possible.

HP-UX turns the BSD behaviour on by setting the setgid bit.  (Does
SysVr4 do the same thing?)  Anyrate, I'd hate to see the meaning of
this bit *reversed*.

I would not worry about this issue at all -- I have never seen a
situation where the old SysV "primary group" was more usful than the
group of the directory.  (And I'm sure someone else *has* and will
post the example, right. :-)

Giles