Subject: Can't communicate with portmapper
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: C Kane <ckane@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1998 22:39:03
Hello..

I am running NetBSD-1.3H/i386, using sources supped from around
Friday or Saturday, October 17 or 18.

I'm using the GENERIC kernel, except lots of device drivers have
been removed, and the following changes:
  maxusers        64              # estimated number of users
  options         MCLSHIFT=11
  options         NMBCLUSTERS=8192
  options         MSGBUFSIZE=32768

I'm trying to abuse ypserv, to assure myself it might be stable in
my environment, but I'm getting the following error message:
  ypcat: clnttcp_create failed
  ypcat: no such map group.byname.  Reason: Can't communicate with portmapper
  ypcat: clnttcp_create failed
  ypcat: no such map group.byname.  Reason: Can't communicate with portmapper
  ypcat: no such map group.byname.  Reason: RPC failure
  ypcat: no such map group.byname.  Reason: RPC failure

What might this problem be?  Too many open files?  kern.maxfiles = 3404.
Is there a per-process limit which needs to be raised?

Thanks...
-- Chuck