Subject: Re: locking users in their home dir?
To: Ted Lemon <>
From: Chris Jones <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1998 15:55:57

TL> Unfortunately, most unix applications and particularly build
TL> environments assume that people will have a umask of 002 and that
TL> most directories on the system will have permissions of 0755, so
TL> setting up a more restrictive permission policy tends to fail in
TL> obscure and annoying ways.  Sigh.

>>  I've never had problems with umask 022...

TL> No, you have a problem if you use some *other* umask!  Duh!  :')

Actually, if you'll re-read what you originally wrote, and what I
wrote in response, you'll see that my comment wasn't quite as stupid
as it seems.  In fact, I haven't seen much in the way of software
packages that expect a umask of 002.  I think 022 is much more
common.  :)

Chris Jones
           Mad scientist at large