Subject: Re: Permissions on directories.
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1998 16:55:46
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Giles Lean wrote:

: > I would certianly not change a default behavior, but I'd still like to see
: > the option of using the user's primary gid when creating a file if BOTH of
: > the following conditions are false:
: >
: > - the directory is setgid or sticky
: > - the user has the directory's group ID in the user's group list
: >
: > If either of these two conditions are true, using the directory's group ID
: > is fine with me.  I'm more concerned about files having a group ID other
: > than a user's allowed group IDs; on SVR4, that is just plain not possible.
:
: HP-UX turns the BSD behaviour on by setting the setgid bit.  (Does
: SysVr4 do the same thing?)  Anyrate, I'd hate to see the meaning of
: this bit *reversed*.

It's not reversed.  I said the conditions have to be *false* to use SVR4
behavior.  :>

: I would not worry about this issue at all -- I have never seen a
: situation where the old SysV "primary group" was more usful than the
: group of the directory.  (And I'm sure someone else *has* and will
: post the example, right. :-)

Two words:  Group quotas.