Subject: Re: Permissions on directories.
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1998 04:54:16
    Date:        Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:33:32 -0400
    From:        "John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>

  | The Columbia Appletalk Protocol package uses setuid directories to flag
  | something interesting, but I forget what...

If it does, it must be buried somewhere very obscure, I have just done
a quick scan through the sources, and I can't see anything that looks
like it is using setuid anything at all (as opposed to making use of some
of its binaries being setuid, which it might do).   That is, I can't see
anywhere where it ever looks at the value of any setuid bits, anywhere.

But I'll check with its maintainer to be sure.

When what is currently the sticky bit on directories (restricted delete)
was first implemented, that used the setuid bit instead, but that was changed
before this ever really saw any general public release.

kre