Subject: Re: X11 on i386
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1998 09:29:42
"Paul M. Newhouse" writes:

> My card is recognized as:
>
>   S3 Trio32/64 (VGA display) at pci0 dev 18 function 0 not configured
>
> I run it:
>
>   xinit -- -bpp 8 >& X.log
>
> If I leave the X11 display running on my pppd machine it hangs up as Dave
> Sainty says, "when the CPU is quite busy", usually after I've sup'd down the

No that wasn't me.  I used a S3 Virge and XF86_S3V server in 16 bit
mode.  It never ever crashed during normal activity, busy or
otherwise.  It did however very often (almost always) crash at logoff
time, when it tried to start a new session.  The crash had the same
visual result as mentioned in an earlier email, vertical lines down
the screen.

I never looked into it though because the crash occurred when I
usually switched the machine off anyway.  In fact truth be known I
found it rather useful when it did crash because when it did the disk
wouldn't spin back up again before I shut the machine down. :) (I
think I could recover the situation if I wanted by connecting to the X
terminal from another machine and killing the server and restarting
another one or something...  But I can't remember, I have a Riva128
card now (230MHz ramdac at 16 bits with the ramdac as the
bottleneck....  Feel the wind in your hair... :)

Some of these bugs are different than others I suspect, but my crash
and the original one have a suspiciously similar result (the "vertical
lines screen of crippled but alive").

Cheers,

Dave