Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: John Nemeth <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1998 01:29:48
On Oct 11,  3:13am, Curt Sampson wrote:
} On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 wrote:
} > I often want a machine "partially up".  For instance, I might want
} > a machine in the mode where normal services are in place, but "network
} > server" stuff is temporarily off.
} I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
} startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
} on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
} allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
} daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
} server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.

     Hmm, this sounds a lot like the Extensions Manager CDEV on a Mac.

}-- End of excerpt from Curt Sampson