Subject: Re: A few random -current questions
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1998 19:37:07
On 10/16, William O Ferry wrote:
>     Also, anybody have any nifty suggestions on ways to keep their
> kernel config file up to date?  I generally just end up re-hacking a
> GENERIC config file to my liking every so often.  Just wondering if
> anybody has any simple way of keeping theirs up to date.

  I like emacs ediff mode on a color monitor for this--makes the job
completely trivial unless there's been a major reorganization of GENERIC.
Just bring up your config in one window (frame, really), GENERIC in another
(next to it), choose menu entry

  Tools -> Compare -> Two Buffers

and watch the diffs pop out.  Skip through difference regions by pressing
<SPACE>; in the selected region, the character-by-character diffs are shown
in color.  Synchronizing either side to the other is a matter of punching
a single button for each difference region you want to synchronize.  Works
great for /etc files too.