Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/1998 15:32:16
 >      I really don't like the idea of a devfs.  Various people have
 > stated the problems with it in the past, so I won't dwell on them.
 > But, if it was completely optional and didn't have any impact on the
 > rest of the system, I probably wouldn't be bothered too much by its
 > presence.  That means it can't be implemented like the FreeBSD one
 > where every driver has to be modifed for it.

On the other hand, I would say a devfs is not worthwhile as long as
you still have major numbers and cdevsw/bdevsw... because then it
doesn't really serve any purpose, except for perhaps enforcing
permissions on ttys.

Somehow I suspect that these two sets of requirements are
incompatible. :-)

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)