Subject: Re: ascii dump for tcpdump (was Re: truss-like command for netbsd)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/1998 11:16:19

    Jukka> On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 09:08:44AM -0400, Michael C. Richardson
    Jukka> wrote:
    >> I disagree. The hex output is almost always useless because you are
    >> looking for a packet whose contents you may understand in ascii, but
    >> don't recognize in hex. With the ascii output, I can save to a file,
    >> and then grep the file.

    Jukka> I disagree.  If I'm developing a driver for custom Ethernet driver
    Jukka> (and I will be soon), I'll want to display the packets in hex to
    Jukka> I vote for both ASCII and hex.

  Sorry, I should have said so explicitely.
  I search with ASCII, I understand with hex.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.