Subject: Re: SSH 2.0 license; looks like 2.0 won't allow non-education use
To: Rob Healey <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1998 22:46:54
On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 11:08:22AM -0500, Rob Healey wrote:

> 	Has anybody taken a close look at the SSH 2.0 license? In a nutshell
> 	it appears that unless you are a student at a University the public
> 	source use is prohibited; i.e. you have to get the commercial version.

I can't seem to find the URL at the moment, but there's a project whose
purpose is the creation of a GPL'd (I believe) implementation of the ssh
protocol. An independent implementation is required if ssh is to be a
"standard," at any rate.

The GNU task list page lists this as a project to be done, but gives no
pointers to the existing work-in-progress. Hm.

I'd love to see and use a free equivalent to ssh, and it looks like one
will exist before too horribly long.

Mason Loring
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
  dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore..awake ? sleep : dream;