Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1998 20:29:41
[ On Sun, October 11, 1998 at 11:07:16 (-0500), seebs@plethora.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
>
> In message <Pine.NEB.4.02.9810110308550.11624-100000@ascetic.portal.ca>, Curt S
> ampson writes:
> >I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
> >startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
> >on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
> >allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
> >daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
> >server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.
>
> Oh, that's very nice.  That does sound like a vast improvement on runlevels.
>
> (And, if you want, you can always implement runlevels in terms of it.)

Anyone who knows anything about AT&T System V Unix will know that they
also came up with a similar improvement about 10 years ago or more
(SAC).  The AIX guys did something similar too.

Now of course AT&T Unix kept the multi-level init scheme too.  I think
I'd rather have both as options too.

--
							Greg A. Woods