Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1998 11:42:28
According to Curt Sampson:

>I coded up a bit of proof-of-concept stuff for the new NetBSD
>startup dependency system that Perry and Matt were doing some work
>on. This made the whole concept of `runlevels' obselete by instead
>allowing you to turn on and off named daemons or named groups of
>daemons. So you wouldn't for example, have to have your radius
>server running just to run xdm on that machine as well.

This sounds interesting but does it address the down side as well?
Meaning, can you tell a group of daemons to please go away.  This is
what I use run levels a lot for at work - I know that if I tell the
machine to `init 0' then the database servers will have been shutdown
correctly by the database kill script.

  And the monks would cry unto them, "Keep the bloody noise down!"
  - Mort, Terry Pratchett.