Subject: Re: CVS repository...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/1998 07:55:35
On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:18:35 -0500  Peter Seebach wrote:

> Someone I was chatting with mentioned using FreeBSD in preference to NetBSD
> because of the open CVS repository.  What's that, and why don't we have one?

Both FreeBSD and NetBSD maintain the source code tree in CVS.
FreeBSD (and OpenBSD, I think) make their CVS tree publicly available.

This makes it possible for interested parties who aren't annointed
developers to view version history and commit messages.

Rumour has it that there are still some "unclean" (aka possibly
AT&T contaminated files) in the NetBSD CVS repository but that
obviously isn't a showstopper; those files just need to be removed.
Obviously they aren't used anymore anyway.

As with most things, the question comes down to finding an existing
developer to "sponsor" this.  Best is if that developer is a member
of core. :-)

Giles (not a developer, speaking for himself, and ducking!)