Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/1998 11:19:55
In message <Pine.NEB.4.02.9810110915510.11624-100000@ascetic.portal.ca>, Curt S
ampson writes:
>On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 seebs@plethora.net wrote:
>> I think a proper sparse device filesystem wouldn't add much mess; it could
>> be another optional filesystem like /procfs and /kernfs, and if you don't
>> use it, you don't pay.

>Actually, that would probably be fairly livable.

Yes.  I will actually join the anti-sysV crowd in saying that I currently
perceive no need for a fully populated /dev/dsk.  :)

BTW, one thing I'd love about a "good" implementation is the possibility
of having multiple ways to reach the same object.  Thus,
	/dev/pci/ahc0/dsk0
	/dev/pci/ahc0/tg3
	/dev/sd0
	/dev/scsi/bus1/dsk0
	/dev/scsi/bus1/tg3
could all refer to a disk (SCSI id 3) on the first ahc controller on the PCI
bus, which is the second controller in the system.

For that matter, we could go the whole Plan 9 route ... Okay, maybe that's
a bit drastic.

-s