Subject: Re: X11 on i386
To: Adam Ciarcinski <>
From: Dave Sainty <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/1998 15:10:55
Adam Ciarcinski writes:

> I use NetBSD on K6/233MHz with S3 Virge GFX card.
> Well... sometimes X-Windows hangs by displaying vertical colour bars.
> I can kill XWrapper from another computer (Amiga, to be honest :)),
> remove locks from /tmp and restart it by startx, but there is no way to

I had this problem with my Virge card, it's a bug in the server.  I
was using XF86_S3V.  You might like to try XF86_SVGA, which now has
Virge support built in.

I only got that crash at logout time, so it never really affected me
as that's the point I hit the power switch on my X terminal PC anyway
:).  So I don't have a known fix except for getting a different card
or debugging the server...