Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1998 16:47:06
On Oct 4, 12:47pm, Bill Studenmund wrote:
} On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} >      Charles did propose a solution to this problem a while ago, but I
} > think his solution is too complex and prone to problems.  It required
} > ALL partitions to be setup and map by a program, instead of being
} > automatically done by the kernel.  This is a disaster waiting to
} > happen (just ask any HP-UX admin).  I think something more akin to the
} > FreeBSD method would be better.  Of course, we would have to come up
} > something that would work nicely on platforms besides PC's, i.e.
} > Amiga's and Mac's.
}
} I agree that the slices idea was complicated, but I thought the initial
} part, like the part of the slices which were NetBSD partitions, would get
} set up automagically by the kernel. I thought only "other" partition
} formats would need the user daemon, which was an attempt to avoid kernel
} bloat.

     Hmm, you may be right.  It was a fair bit of time ago that I read
the proposal.  I'd have to do some serious digging to find it again.

     Charles, do you have your slices proposal on-line somewhere?

}-- End of excerpt from Bill Studenmund