Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <seebs@plethora.net, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1998 15:52:54
On Oct 4,  2:46am, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
} In message <9810040432.AA27464@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>, Greg Earle writes:
} >Are there any?  I certainly don't consider /dev/dsk/cWtXdYsZ one of them.
} >(Having once been bitten by an errant "boot -r" on Solaris 2, like Rick Kelly)
}
} Well, I've been bitten once by accidentally hitting the address-jumper on
} a drive - and renumbering my *ENTIRE* system.  Then taking a drive out
} whe it was failing - and having my *ENTIRE* system renumber itself again.
}
} I dunno what 'boot -r' does, but if "I have had a bad experince with
} this" is a damning piece of evidence, the 'sd*' probe is a Bad Idea.

     Again, the main purpose of sd* is for bootstrapping/installing
systems.  This also helps naive/amateur systems administrators.  It is
expected that the devices will be wired down.  People running
production servers should know what they are doing.  Most people doing
that will build custom kernels anyways in order to get rid of
unnecessary stuff and reduce the kernels memory footprint.

}-- End of excerpt from seebs@plethora.net