Subject: Re: Problems with FFS optimization changes SPACE<->TIME
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1998 18:41:35
Thilo Manske wrote:

> Well, it's not really NetBSD-current (system runs 1.3.2) related, sorry
> for that.

There is netbsd-users@netbsd.org for this. (I know it's not high volume,
but if people don't start using it, it's useless that we have it
seperately :-)
NetBSD users should be on this list and help each other out with the
questions they have.

> Last saturday night/sunday morning I upgraded our web proxy from
> Squid.1.NOVM.22 to Squid.2.0.RELEASE1. Since 2.0 uses a different cache
> structure as 1.x I had to clear the disk cache. I've decided to newfs
> the cache partition (~3GB) instead of deleting thousands of files.
>
> PROBLEM:
>
> As the cache started to fill up this week I noticed
> "Oct  8 16:57:32 Server /netbsd: /usr/local/squid/cache: optimization
> changed from TIME to SPACE" in /var/log/messages.
>
> `df` said that the partition was around 33% full

This is not a real problem. AFAIK, there might be two reasons for
this. The first on is that the disk in almost full, which is
what you describe later on (95%). The second reason for a disk
getting full is to run out of inodes. If you have many small
files, chances are you run out of inodes, in which case you
wouldn't be able to write buffers to the list.
I wouldn't know why the kernel should change it's strategy on
how to write blocks on the disk in this case though.

  Guenther