Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/1998 20:15:22
[ On Thu, October 8, 1998 at 16:02:34 (-0600), Justin T. Gibbs wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
> >It's not a trivial project to move that implementation to NetBSD, but
> >it's not "major" either.  The implementation from FreeBSD can probably
> >be lifted intact and then there's only the last little missing feature
> >I've already mentioned that needs to be decided upon and added.
> Do yourself a favor, and *don't* lift the DEVFS code from FreeBSD.  It is
> severely broken and that brokenness will not be addressed until sometime
> next year.  This is why 3.0R is not shipping with DEVFS enabled.

If you're talking about some of the *limits* with the current
implementation, yes, I'm aware of those, and have hinted to solutions I
feel may be useful already in this thread.

If there's other actual *breakage* then please elaborate.

(BTW, I've just been re-reading Richard Gooch's linux devfs
documentation and am again even more intrigued by the possibilities of

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>