Subject: Re: Problem linting libkafs - make guru needed
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1998 09:26:32
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: 1) Our build tools don't deal well w/ libraries which link against other
: libraries when you're in a DESTDIR environment. The fix is easy (add
: -L$DESTDIR/usr/lib -nostdlib if you're DESTDIR'ing), but seems gross to
: folks. Well, everyone I've shown it to dislikes it. :-) Right now, we have
: no libraries with this problem.

Um, it's not a "fix"; that's how you do it.  Like it or not, it is _the_
solution to link against things in a DESTDIR environment.

: 3) Our shared libraries, at least a.out ones, don't deal well w/ libraries
: depending on other libraries. It doesn't auto-include them.

Which will not, ever, get fixed on a.out platforms.  (Yet another argument
for ELF, but then, the a.out behavior is actually the historic and
expected... ;)