Subject: Re: NCR SCSI Driver Woes
To: Oliver Fross <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1998 11:31:43
According to Oliver Fross:
>	This makes any additional drives unusable, which really is a
>bummer.  Any time I try to talk to them, I get the following error:
>disklabel: /dev/rsd4d: Input/output error

I know that you said it's not termination BUT - check the
termination ;-)  Check every drive in the chain has the terminators
disabled on it - modern drives are sneaky and it is very easy to leave
the terminator enable link on.  I had this happen to me once - a disk
was terminated in the middle of the chain, everything worked fine
until I added another tape drive.

The other thing to check is that the drive spin up on power up.  If
the drives have a delayed spin up then they may not be up & ready when
the probe comes along.  Normally the amount of delay is dependent on
the scsi id so the higher numbered disks are more likely to not be ready.

  And the monks would cry unto them, "Keep the bloody noise down!"
  - Mort, Terry Pratchett.