Subject: Re: -current kernel quirks
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1998 15:36:13
On Oct  6, 11:03pm, Hauke Fath wrote:
> now that -current kernel sources build again for mac68k, I see a fatal
> tendency of dumping core with userland stuff. I cannot even login as root
> on serial console; I can get into my normal account but things like
> resizing an xterm (signals here?) take my shell away with an Illegal
> Instruction Error or some such.

  This may be due to sigcode [in m68k/m68k/sigcode.s] loading D0 using
a "movew", but the trap 3 handler compares all 32 bits of D0.  If it
doesn't match, the trap 3 handler treats it as an "Illegal Instruction"
fault.

  I've also found that the trap 1 handler destroys the contents of D0, which
breaks any program using longjmp() to pass a specific value.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant