Subject: kernel hacking pointers
To: None <>
From: dustin sallings <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1998 00:58:59
	So, I'm pretty far from a kernel hacker, but I've got a project
I'm really wanting to get into.

	What I want to do is put a layer on top of the filesystem to do
some kind of filename abstraction to rewrite a file path.  I really just
want a place to look before it looks on the disk.

	The idea is to have something kinda like plan9's bind command,
sort of a symlink that overrides filesystem paths and is valid for a given
process and all processes below it.  For instance (from the bind manpage

To compile a program with the C library from July 16, 1992:

              mount /srv/boot /n/dump dump

              bind /n/dump/1992/0716/mips/lib/libc.a /mips/lib/libc.a

	Of course, I'm not looking to do the yesterday stuff taking daily
filesystem snapshots, just the process-level rewriting.

	Is this a completely crazy idea?  If it's possible to do it
without rewriting huge parts of filesystems, I'd like to play with it
some.  Any pointers?

SA,                            The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <>