Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1998 17:42:22
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Christoph Badura wrote:

> khym@bga.com (Dave Huang) writes:
> >For example, my current board, an ASUS
> >P55T2P4 has:
>
> >[...]
> >Devs 0 and 7 are on the board itself, dev 9 is the leftmost slot, 10 the
> >next one, 11 the next, and 12 the rightmost slot.
>
> Yes, but not all motherboard number PCI slots from left to right
> (or right to left).

Right. But the point was that once you know how the motherboard does it,
it will continue to number that way. You can change the BIOS, change the
CPU, etc. and the pci bus will still number the same way.

So you can wire certain controllers down to certian PCI slots and be
certain they won't wander around (given the slot-to-dev mapping).

Take care,

Bill