Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 18:49:04
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> ...*or* for the driver to always
> provide a minor number by which the raw disk can be accessed from end to
> end regardless of what's in the current label (either on disk or in core).

Once again, look at the code. We do provide that minor number; it's
the one attached to /dev/xdNc. That partition need not start at
zero, and it doesn't matter what's in the disklabel in memory or
on the disk. The start/end data for that partition are ignored.

You look quite stupid when I explain this to you and you come back
again without having understood a word of it. I advised you to read
the code; now please go and do so before you bring this up again.

> > I don't see where you need any kernel support for this. In fdisk,
> > yes. In the kernel, why?
>
> I think it would make things easier, more consistent, more orthogonal
> and more elegan.

No. All that means is you're stuffing things the kernel does not
need to know about into the kernel, and possibly, if you decide to
go that far, using something other than the generic disk access
methods already in the kernel. That's far from more consistent,
orthogonal, and elegant.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.