Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/1998 12:48:34
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>  * The problem is that to put the "raw" partition out of band, we need
>  * another major number dedicated to the drive type. So sd's would have two
>  * devices, and wd's would have two...
>  *
>  * As it is, we'll have multiple major numbers for disks soon anyway. Why
>  * double that?
>
> You know something we don't; care to elucidate?

I know of no timetables you don't. But when this was hashed out on
tech-kern, a few ideas came up. Also, it's something I personally hope we
address before 1.4.

>  * One of the big concerns with moving to 32-bit devices is that major
>  * numbers made on a 32-bit aware system should work on a 32-bit unaware
>
> This is preposterous.  We gotta be able to move ahead _some_time.

Hmm. That came out a little crypticly. The idea I was (trying) to repeat
addresses an issue which came up when discussing the 32-bit migration. I
addressed this issue in a recent message to Greg & the list. I hope it was
clearer the second time. :-)

Take care,

Bill