Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Bill Studenmund <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <email@example.com>
Date: 10/03/1998 23:15:58
On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
* The problem is that to put the "raw" partition out of band, we need
* another major number dedicated to the drive type. So sd's would have two
* devices, and wd's would have two...
* As it is, we'll have multiple major numbers for disks soon anyway. Why
* double that?
You know something we don't; care to elucidate?
* One of the big concerns with moving to 32-bit devices is that major
* numbers made on a 32-bit aware system should work on a 32-bit unaware
This is preposterous. We gotta be able to move ahead _some_time.
* > Anything that moves us away from implicitly used letters and toward
* > documented partition types makes sense to me too.
* ?? diskabel's output always indicates partition type.
FWIW, I still think the disk text-labeling thing is more trouble
than it's worth.
If you want windoze, you know where to find it. Volume labeling is,
to quote a phrase, "an egregious hack".
* Take care,
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.