Subject: Re: PPP authentication
To: David Leonard <david.leonard@csee.uq.edu.au>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1998 02:13:36
On Sep 30,  9:12pm, David Leonard wrote:
} On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Jukka Marin wrote:
}
} > Let's say there are some 30 NetBSD boxes with 4 to 8 dial-in lines on
} > each.  What's the easiest way of configuring PPP on all lines and boxes
} > to authenticate the users using a shared user database?  Also, is there
} > any way of limiting user on-line time to some number of minutes per day?
}
} Adding the pp=/usr/sbin/pppd capability to the default entry
} in /etc/gettytab means that you can run getty instead of pppd on the serial

     I didn't recall seeing this, so I double checked and this feature
isn't in the NetBSD 1.3.2 getty.  I just checked the -current getty
and it's not there either.  This feature is in modemd, but that uses
/etc/modemcap, not /etc/gettytab.  It would be neat if the NetBSD
getty supported this feature, but it doesn't at the moment.

} I notice that pppd can use PAM.. maybe that could help? (i'm not a PAM expert)

     It would probably work great, except for one thing, NetBSD
doesn't support PAM (yet).

}-- End of excerpt from David Leonard