Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1998 02:40:30
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, David Maxwell wrote:

>My answer to the second question is this -> you put two drives on SCSI ID 1,
>you shot yourself in the foot. Have a nice day. As for the groping, yes it's
>a bit ugly, but it's only once, at mount time.

Yes, but you can (and should) change the SCSI ID *before* you connect the
disk to your system.  But what if you want to attach a disk with a label
which collides with one on an existing disk.  Suppose you want to connect
the system disk of a non-working machine to another system so you can examine
it and work out what's wrong, and both are labelled "NetBSD_1.3.2".
You can't change the label until you've connected it, and you can't connect
it until you've changed the label.  You're stuffed!

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |