Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 20:25:34
[ On Fri, October 2, 1998 at 17:00:40 (+0100), Roger Brooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, David Maxwell wrote:
> >Where -l is meant to mean 'name from diskLabel'. If mount knew this, and
> >fstab's format allowed, you could 'name' your disks, and then ignore
> >changes of Scsi ID etc...
> Duh... You mean mount wanders off, groping all the disks it can find until
> it gets one with the right label?  What if it finds more than one with the
> required label?  I don't see how you could enforce a requirement that the
> label names be unique (particularly if you have removeable media).

Well, no, the driver would read the pack name (volume name) from the
disk label at boot/probe time.

> If you let it use the first matching label it finds, aren't you back where
> you started?  Also, unless they are *partition* labels (not disk labels),
> you couldn't quite do things as in your example (assuming you want more
> than one partition per disk).

David left off one obvious solution to this problem, eg.:

	-l packname:partition

I.e. the partition "index" would also have to be included.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>