Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 17:00:40
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, David Maxwell wrote:

>Is there space in the disklabel to insert (or is there one already there?)
>a unique name for a drive?
>
>What are people's thoughts about that, and teaching mount to handle this:
>
>mount -l dm_root /
>mount -l dm_usr /usr
>mount -l dm_var /var
>
>Where -l is meant to mean 'name from diskLabel'. If mount knew this, and
>fstab's format allowed, you could 'name' your disks, and then ignore
>changes of Scsi ID etc...

Duh... You mean mount wanders off, groping all the disks it can find until
it gets one with the right label?  What if it finds more than one with the
required label?  I don't see how you could enforce a requirement that the
label names be unique (particularly if you have removeable media).

If you let it use the first matching label it finds, aren't you back where
you started?  Also, unless they are *partition* labels (not disk labels),
you couldn't quite do things as in your example (assuming you want more
than one partition per disk).

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |