Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 17:01:59
ckane@best.com (C Kane) writes:

>Christoph Badura writes:
>>Noone is preventing you from
>>changing to /dev and doing "ln sd0a c0t0d0s0" either.

>Using a link misses the point.  I want nailed-down names so device-
>renaming does not occur on bootup.

Uh, the kernel doesn't care what the device names in /dev (or elsewhere) are.
It deals with major and minor numbers only.

The problem is not assigning arbitary (file) names to (major, minor) tuples.
The problem is assigning logical drives in an open environment where any
number of third-party controllers could pop up on any number of slots in
any number of different busses and having the whole thing work if you exchange
a given controller for an incompatible one.

This may just barely work out in the playpen of proprietary systems but in the
real world things aren't that simple.

>Another thing is that if we have a limit of 8 bits for the minor
>number, there can be only 32 nailed-down devices.

We don't have that limit anymore.

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly