Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 11:46:28
On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 12:47:32AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Fri, October 2, 1998 at 06:04:19 (+0200), Zdenek Salvet wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
> >
> > But, what is the 1st SCSI controller attached to the system ?
>
> > I strongly prefer current NetBSD naming scheme, kernel config is
> > much more expressive than integer quadruple.
>
> In theory the hardware bus should be ordered in some way (either by

Is there space in the disklabel to insert (or is there one already there?)
a unique name for a drive?

What are people's thoughts about that, and teaching mount to handle this:

mount -l dm_root /
mount -l dm_usr /usr
mount -l dm_var /var

Where -l is meant to mean 'name from diskLabel'. If mount knew this, and
fstab's format allowed, you could 'name' your disks, and then ignore
changes of Scsi ID etc...

I know this doesn't address what some people are looking for in the
c?t?d?s? format, but it might address some of the 'nail it down' issues,
at the cost of a few disk reads to find the required volume.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,