Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 00:09:55
> I don't want to have to change a config file; I want a consistent
> name for the device.

So you want us to put whatever is necessary in the default config?

> I don't like the nailing-down thing; I don't mind that it exists, but
> I don't want to have to do it to get nailed-down names.

"I want nailed-down names, but I don't want to have to nail down names."

This sounds to me like little more than a request that they be there by
default.

> Basically, depending on the phase of the moon, I may find myself
> wanting to refer to devices by *either* the nailed-down or the
> non-nailed-down names, and I'd like to have both.

I don't believe this is possible without either using a new major or
using a minor bit to tell the difference.

Perhaps you want a scsifs that you can mount -o union on /dev, that
hooks into the scsibus config machinery to present exactly and only the
devices that exist - do a reprobe and more entries magically appear.
(And disappear, once reprobe is fixed to unconfig removed devices.)

Is it worth it?  To me, it is not worth the effort it would take to
implement it.  If you feel differently, go to it!  I think such a
scsifs would be a Pretty Cool Hack, even if I probably wouldn't use it
myself.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca