Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <>
From: Zdenek Salvet <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 06:04:19
> In message <>, C Kane writes:
> >Even if "MAKEDEV sd47" worked, it is easier to refer to that
> >device as c2t15d0 than sd47, because the name makes more sense.
> I hate to be seen as encouraging SYSVism, which we all know is NIH,
> and therefore unacceptable...
> But this is a damn good system.  I like it.  It is the number one thing
> I miss about administering SVR4.  No matter *WHAT* is attached, I like
> to have a way to say "*I* know that this disk will always, forever, be
> SCSI ID 2 on the 1st SCSI controller attached to this system".

But, what is the 1st SCSI controller attached to the system ?
SVR4ish IRIX 6.4 on our Origin has changed SCSI controller numbers
after applying patches to the OS and screwed us even though we had not
moved any hardware before :-(

I strongly prefer current NetBSD naming scheme, kernel config is
much more expressive than integer quadruple.

Zdenek Salvet
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,
         we would have been born with green, baggy skin.