Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 06:04:19
> In message <199810020212.TAA01865@shell9.ba.best.com>, C Kane writes:
> >Even if "MAKEDEV sd47" worked, it is easier to refer to that
> >device as c2t15d0 than sd47, because the name makes more sense.
>
> I hate to be seen as encouraging SYSVism, which we all know is NIH,
> and therefore unacceptable...
>
> But this is a damn good system.  I like it.  It is the number one thing
> I miss about administering SVR4.  No matter *WHAT* is attached, I like
> to have a way to say "*I* know that this disk will always, forever, be
> SCSI ID 2 on the 1st SCSI controller attached to this system".

But, what is the 1st SCSI controller attached to the system ?
SVR4ish IRIX 6.4 on our Origin has changed SCSI controller numbers
after applying patches to the OS and screwed us even though we had not
moved any hardware before :-(

I strongly prefer current NetBSD naming scheme, kernel config is
much more expressive than integer quadruple.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,