Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: C Kane <ckane@best.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 11:37:12
On Thu, 01 Oct 1998 18:02:04 -0700  C Kane wrote:

> Christoph Badura writes:
> >woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> >
> >>The former two
> >>are probably not worthy of use, but the latter still is though I'll
> >>probably keep it in my AT&T 3B2 where it has full OS support, including
> >>explict device naming such as "c0t0d0s0" which means "controller 0,
> >>target 0, disk(LUN) 0, slice 0" (something I wish NetBSD had).
> >
> >Excuse me?
> >
> >	sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0
> >
> >in the kernel config file works just fine.  Noone is preventing you from
> >changing to /dev and doing "ln sd0a c0t0d0s0" either.
>
> Using a link misses the point.  I want nailed-down names so device-
> renaming does not occur on bootup.

I think you missed the point here - by explicitly specifying

	sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0

in your kernel config file, you do wire down sd0 at scsibus0, ID 0 and
lun 0.  Any disks that aren't wired down are caught by an entry like

	sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI disk drives

and with the catch-all entry, device renaming will occur.  It's not
exactly the same as the SYSV mechanism, but you can wire down disks
if you want to.  This may even be the recommended practice - I can't
remember, but I always wire down disks.

Simon.