Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1998 19:54:20
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> First, disk space is _an_ issue but its not the over-riding one.
> Assertions about what are and aren't install-tool issues coming from
> non-install people should be taken with a grain of salt.
>

> >Is all this concern about space warranted?  [snip lots]

I did not intend to say that we should ignore all but new x86 systems
with large drives, but that we should decide what we are optimizing
for.  For example, in another piece of mail, someone made the point
that bandwidth could be expensive.  So maybe we want to use bzip to
reallly shrink things.  Alternatively, maybe we want to plan really
hard to do a CD release, or have CD images ready to press.  I don't
know what CD's cost or what downloading the distribution to australia
costs.  But there's probably a point where its cheaper for people
there to make CD's than to download ... or maybe not.

Again, I'm viewing this as what does our shiny new distribution look
like.