Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Guenther Grau <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/1998 12:47:29
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Guenther Grau wrote:

: > i dunno. i recon that netbsd's madvise() should fail if it doesn't work..
: > if the emulations rely on it's "success" (as you say), then they should
: > be changed to ignore what the *real* madvise() does?

: makes sense. My guess is that there is no real emulation
: for madvise() right now. It uses the native madvise().
: Adding a little wrapper that calls the native madvise()
: and ignores the result would probably be the right thing
: to do.

That's just the problem:  we do have a madvise that _works_, we just don't
do anything with the arguments it's passed.  madvise() exists for a program
to say "pretty please try to keep these pages in-core" or "these pages can
be swapped out at will".

IMHO, an advisory function that ignores advice shouldn't necessarily fail,
as the args are just that -- advice.  Adding stub wrappers in emul have the
potential of being missed when the actual support is added, and NetBSD
programs should be just as capable of caling madvise() anyway.

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.